March 19, 2009

What God has been teaching me

I would like to take a couple of minutes and write about a few of the things God has been teaching me lately.

On the 9th of March, I made a comment on one of my friend’s pictures. That comment started an argument that lasted two days. Each of us posted about twice a day. At the very end of the argument my friend made a comment that showed I had hurt her through me words. This caused me to stop and think. I wrote a quick, short, and not very heartfelt apology. I was sorry that I had hurt her, but I still felt like I was right. Within a couple of minutes of making this apology God started to work on my heart. After God had been operating on me for a while I wrote the following apology.

“I am sorry that we argued on facebook. After I left my last comment God showed me that I was wrong to press you. I should have just warned you and then left it at that. I am sorry that my pride has lead me once again to argue with you. God has been working on me but He is not finished yet. He showed me through this argument that I feel like I have to be right and that the person that I am talking to has to know it before the conversation is over. I am sorry that I was trying to force my views on to you. God is showing me that I need to be more graceful in those circumstances. If I have a differing opinion I should state it and leave it at that unless the person asks why I believe the way I do. I am sorry that I did not do this. I hope that you will forgive my stubbornness.”

Well, even now God is still working on my pride. As I sit and write this I have thoughts like “maybe people will read this and see how humble I am and how much better I am doing…” Pride is still strong within me, but God is working.

Fear is what God focused on next in my life. It started with a conversation with a friend. He helped me realize that I fear being alone, I fear rejection, and last of all I fear spending time with God. Also, my friend pointed out that God wants to help us overcome those fears and replace them with trust. He also said that normally this is not an easy process, but it is always worth it.

Right away God started to work on my fear of being alone. That fear actually stems from a couple of different fears. I fear being alone, because when I am alone I generally sink into a depressed state. I am afraid of that state. I don’t like the feeling also when I am depressed I make dumb mistakes. God has been taking that fear and He is showing me that I don’t have to be depressed when I am alone, because God is with me.

The last thing that God has been showing me over the past week comes from Malachi 1:6 which says “‘A son honors his father, and a servant his master, then if I am a father, where is My honor?’ And ‘if I am a master, where is My respect? Says the Lord of hosts to you, O priests…’” This verse caused me to ask myself the questions “Do I give God the honor and respect He deserves?” Also, “Do I respect my father the way I should?”

No comments:

Post a Comment