February 21, 2009

Saved by Grace

February 20, 2009

I was reading my DFD bible study today and it asked the question “Do you feel worthy of God’s grace?” I thought that is was a simple question with a simple answer. I don’t feel worthy of God’s grace and if I was worthy of it would it be grace? No, if I was worthy then it would be my just reward. In my head I know this is to be true, but at times my heat does not reflect that answer.

As some of you know I struggle with pride. That pride often leads me to think I am better than others. Whenever I am in that state I have forgotten that simple answer to the simple question. I am not worthy of God’s grace, because if I were it would not be grace. In 1 Corinthians 4:7 Paul says “For who makes you different from anyone else? What do you have that you did not receive? And if you did receive it, why do you boast as though you did not?” So when I boast I am taking glory that is due to God because He made me capable to do the very thing I am boasting about. In Ephesians 2:8-9 the bible says “For by grace you have been saved through faith; and that not of yourselves, it is the gift of God; not as a result of works, so that no one may boast.” I really have nothing to boast about everything that I have God has given me, my abilities, my good grades, all my stuff, and most importantly my salvation.

When I feel like boasting I need to remember these facts. First, God has given me everything I have. Second, I have done nothing to earn my salvation it was a gift. And finally remember to glorify God. Paul said, “May I never boast except in the cross of our Lord Jesus Christ.”

No comments:

Post a Comment